HOW TO COOK FRIED RICE


I’m gearing up for the start of my second semester of grad school, and with the pressures of the first draft of my master’s project due in less than a week I’ve resorted to one pot cooking for the night. A simple fried rice dinner is my go-to on days when I’m left feeling drained by school or work. And much like salads, fried rice leaves the door wide open for customization. I’ve used my favorite veggies in this recipe, but other delicious additions could include bell peppers, broccoli or eggplant.


INGREDIENTS:

1½ Tablespoons of sesame seed oil
2/3 cup white onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 egg
1/3 cup carrots, small dice
1/3 cup mushrooms, small dice
1/3 cup pea pods, julienne
1 cup brown rice, cooked
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
Pinch of black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Place a large pan (with at least 2" of depth) over medium heat and add 1½ tablespoons of sesame seed oil.

Add in the chopped onions and sauté until translucent. Then add in the minced garlic.

Push the onion and garlic mixture to one side of the pan, then add the cubed chicken breasts to the other side and cook until tender.

Add the diced carrots, mushrooms and julienned pea pods to the pan and mix all ingredients together.

Push the mixture to one side, then add in the egg and scramble it until cooked.

Stir in the cooked brown rice, soy sauce, and pinch of pepper. Allow the fried rice to cook for an additional 5 minutes before serving.

Comments